Sunday, October 19, 2008

A 33 year streak comes to an end

I took my family to the Alliance Air Show in Ft. Worth last Sunday. I must say that for my first air show, I was completely unimpressed. Actually, this may have been one of the biggest ass-whippings of my life. I would have been perfectly happy missing this one also, increasing my record of missed air shows to 33 straight years, but I knew how much my middle boy loves planes, so I relented, telling the Susi that we should go so I could see the Rocket Powered Semi Truck. We all load into the Suburban and make the one hour drive to the air show. On the plus side, I got to take my SUV off-road, but that was only because we had to park about two miles from the entrance to the airport. We all pile out of the Suburban and while we are walking, we are able to see an F-18 flying right over our heads. It was great to see and hear that plane, the first 40 times it passed over our heads. We eventually get into the show, and start to wander about. We look at a few planes, and I begin to realize how much cammo people are wearing. As we continue to wander about, I am amazed at the sheer volume of cammo; from little kids, to grizzled old men, everyone has it on. It's not like they are at a football game wearing their favorite team's jersey, there is only one team people. You are not going to be mistaken for a professional pilot because you're wearing a camoflauge wife beater and jorts. Additionally, please keep your knowledge of airplanes to yourself; the big round thing on top of an AWACS is not for landing helicoptors, if you tell your kid that, he is going to get his ass kicked. Oh yeah! back to ass whipping, how many times can a person possibly watch the same thing? I mean wow, that plane just did a loop de loop, and then it did a roll. Wow, the next plane just did a loop de loop and a roll. Wow, the third plane just did a loop de loop and a roll. Come on! Enough already! I guess I'll be 66 before I can treaten this record again.

2 comments:

DM said...

top it by going to the Osh Kosh airshow before you die...

Theresa said...

Dude, post something new already.